It was a Girls Morning at Wyong NexusHub on Monday 16th October and we all leaned into Jacqui Bilson's presentation about some of the key issues that come to the fore during marriage breakdowns.
Whether you work with people, or whether you have friends in the process of separation, you would have taken some gems from hearing Jacqui speak. She's really passionate about her clients!
Some key issues she raised:
- Authorities - is your client authorised to instruct you without the other party? Who will you contact if your client cannot contact you?
- Contravention - is your retainer subject to Court Orders or a Binding Agreement?
- Subpoenas - Are you at risk of being subpoenaed?
- Domestic Violence - is your client's life at risk?
- Fraud - a failure to disclose is fraudulent. Are you at risk of being complicit?
- Limit risk - have you scoped your retainer?
- Timing - acquiring or disposing of assets (even after separation) will impact the property settlement
Jacqui has compiled a free Subpoena Compliance Guide and has plans for a How To Guide as well - watch this space!
And for co-parenting families who need help trying to plan their life around who's going where, when etc, why not get them a Christmas Gift with this amazing 2024 Coasties Family Calendar
For more information and support